Thursday, November 23, 2006

thanksgiving

me and the rest of the nation will collapse into our collective beds tonight, drugged up on tryptophan, cranberry sauce and giant slabs of pie. i spent the evening at my uncle's girlfriend's house. she's an absolute superstar; june cleaver with a career, a social conscience and a sense of wonder and delight that match that of her amazing kids. it was somewhat awkward, but the wine with dinner, music after desert combination helped.

A good friend of mine once described conversations as being an exchange of “me, me, me me, me” “you, you, you, you” “me, you me” etc. alternating ego-assertion with acknowledging the other person's ego. i guess that's why its such a relief to play music, its an easy way to step outside of social dynamics while still engaging and connecting. moving through these radically different and alien social scenes each night is beginning to wear me out! i'm looking forward to Aaron's immiment arrival, my soul brother fiddle-playing jew from michigan with a strong grasp on life's essentially silly nature.

No comments: