Monday, November 20, 2006

background

ok, to explain who/what/how i am............

last august the vulgar bulgars (central virginia's finest klezmer band) decided to take off on extended tour for the summer/fall. after an intoxicatingly wonderful 6 weeks of travel and music, i was totally addicted. life on the farm just wasn't cutting it anymore. so around mid september, i decided to just go for it, jump in, head out and step off into the void. originally my plan was to travel for 3 years, find a home, and settle down for a good long while. we'll see how it goes...

At the moment i'm in nyc, staying with my sociologist uncle on the upper west side of manhatten. i've got 3 weeks here, and am helping the uncle organize his life, playing the fiddle on the street, helping serve soup at St. Joseph's house (a catholic worker communty on the lower east side), and trying to have some fun adventures of my own, as well.

right now my biggest struggle seems to be embracing this new solitary status. i'm currently in 2 big romantic relationships, both not here, and they have been colonizing my brain a little bit, stifling my inner fiercly independant nature. time to throw off the emotional yoke and stride forth into my life!

Today's plan includes playing fiddle in the 95th st. subway until i make enough money to see the bulgarian women's choir at symphony space. bulgarian women's choral music is haunting, beautiful, and deeply emotive for me. i also have a personal connection since i grew up hearing this kind of music (my parents were big folk dancing afficionados).

til then, its a grey day perfect for curling up with an ursula leguin book and a mug of tea.

No comments: